Thursday, June 26, 2008

Walter’s story

I met my wife back in high school. She was a freshman and I was a junior. I remember my first words to her. She had a picture of Dallas Star Mike Modano kissing the Stanley Cup on her Speech book. But, from my angle, it looked like a guy kissing a skillet. With that, my first words to her were, "why is that guy kissing a skillet?"

Seeing that I was also a huge hockey fan, we became friends pretty quickly. We hit it off from the very beginning, not as boyfriend/girlfriend, but as best friends. We were as inseparable as Charlie Brown and Snoopy. We loved being best friends so much to the point that we did not even think about dating. We were, however, falling in a very deep love for each other.

It was not until a year and a half later that we started dating. We had two rules: we would not compromise our commitment to abstinence and we would not stop being best friends. We dated for more than four years before we got married. And, over those four years, our rules were not a hindrance, they were a help. Did we want to have sex? Of course, but we knew that we were not going to and we never put ourselves in a situation where that temptation would be a problem.

I married my human love of my life on June 19th, 2005. We picked that date because that day is the 6th year anniversary to when the Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup. It has been magical ever since.

We are so glad we waited. Sex is not the reason that we got married. And, sex is not the reason that we smile at each other every waking moment of the day. We love each other, and we both love God very much. Sex is a gift from God to be opened at the right time. To us, sex is great not only because we love each other but because we waited until it was right time.

Note: Just a few hours after Walter sent this story, his wife called to tell him that he is going to be a daddy! Congratulations!

No comments:

 
2008 A.C. Green Youth Foundation. All Rights Reserved. Contact Us | Site Map | Search | Privacy | Terms